What we do
SRI LANKA 2020
In 2020, our focus is on the Women’s Development Centre in Kandy, Sri Lanka. Here we find girls as young as 11 years old who have been raped and abused, become pregnant as a result, and have been sent away from home to avoid the shame within their community. Here they have one room where they take it in turns to look after their babies, and another where the rest of the girls work every day to create fabrics and garments which are sold to cover their living costs. The Women’s Development Centre do all they can to look after these young women and girls, but they need help.
When they reach 18, these girls must leave. As ‘spoiled’ women, they will not be able to marry, and without skills they will likely spend the rest of their lives working in menial jobs for very little pay.
We want to make a difference. Find out more about what we’re doing, and what we need, in our Sri Lanka 2020 project area.
The Heir Foundation program encourages the young women of Sri Lanka to take the opportunity to learn and develop new skills. The programme is designed and executed by our group of volunteers, who all bring different skill sets. It is an intense 5-week programme running from Monday to Friday and delivered through workshops, engaging both the right and left hemispheres of the brain to help understand what these women need to enhance a progressive future. We’ll also focus on teaching skills to create a job force within the community.
Included in the programme:
- Personal Development & Wellbeing
- Health and Safety
- Meditation and Yoga
- Self defence
- Business Skills
- Creative studies
Little girls with dreams become women with vision!
We understand that it is impossible to achieve your full potential, including loving and caring for yourself, without solid foundations. The young girls we support cannot focus on their studies and personal growth without the basic foundations: clean drinking water, food, shelter, and safety. That’s why we not only educate, but we look to provide a better environment stocked with essentials, putting their minds at ease and helping them to focus on caring for themselves and improving their situation.
The Heir Foundation has already helped communities by:
- Renovating and redecorating spaces to provide a positive, upbeat atmosphere where many are forced to spend all day, every day
- Facilitating clear-outs and helping to reorganise living and working areas to make the most of what they have
- Purchasing and installing improved lighting and cooling, to make environments more comfortable at a fraction of their previous running costs
- Identifying and purchasing the essentials needed to live comfortably in the environment they have – for example, providing reusable sanitary care and diapers, to avoid girls having to wash and reuse disposable ones and risk their own health and that of their babies
WHERE WE WORK
So far we’ve helped young women and girls in London and Sri Lanka. Watch this space for our next project location!
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Kandy, Sri Lanka
In collaboration with the Women’s Development Centre, we’ve helped girls and young women in Kandy who are the victims of rape and abuse.
Heir Generation supports London youth by providing opportunities to progress with hairdressing and business skills.